Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

Questions for Tuesday, December 22, 2009.

1. When do you put up and take down your Christmas decorations?
This year we put up our Christmas decorations and tree on November 30th. We bought our first Christmas tree on black Friday and we were so excited to put it up! The tree has colored lights and 70% of the ornaments on the tree are related to Star Wars. Eric got all his ornaments from his mom when he moved to Austin and I still haven't collect all of mine.
2. What do you do to simplify the holiday season?
This year I tried to buy all of my Christmas presents on the first week of December so I could have the rest of the weeks to relax. The key word is I tried, I probably got done on the 15th.
3. What do you do to remind yourself and your family what the Christmas season is all about?
I have been studying the first couple chapters of Luke. Even though I have heard the story of the birth of Jesus many times, it never ceases to amaze me how God sent his son to save the world. What also helped me remember the true meaning of Christmas, was teaching my 4 year olds about the birth of Jesus. These past weeks I have been teaching them the story and then asking questions to see if they understood. Last week I decided to ask this question, "Why was baby Jesus so important?"
Here are some of the responses I got.
- He heals people with leprosy
- He makes you feel better when you are sad
- He protects you against lions
- He makes you happy
-He saves you from our sins (isn't that awesome!!)
- When your toy is broken, he will fix it
4. How do you spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
This has been my second Christmas being a Brinkman. We spend Thanksgiving with my family and Christmas with Eric's. For Christmas Eve we usually go to candlelight service at 6pm, head to China King and get take out. (best Chinese food I have ever eaten.) We sit around the table and eat our feast, watch "It's a Wonderful Life", open presents from the family and then hit the sack.
On Christmas Day we get woken up with jingle bells ( i love it!) run to the living room and open presents that Santa got us. We get ready and drive to St. Louis to be with our extended family. We have a aweosme meal, open presents and visit.
5. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? I have a few
1. Hearing the story of the birth of Jesus at Christmas Eve service.
2. Eating Chinese food on Christmas Eve with my family.
3. This tradition has just started, but it is hearing my 4 yr olds sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
4. Making tamales with my grandma.
5. Kissing Eric under the mistletoe.
6. Getting to see my family and friends
6. Did you do the whole Santa thing growing up? What do you like/not like about continuing the tradition?
I did do the Santa thing growing up. I think I believed in him til I was about 9. I loved seeing the plate of cookies we would leave out for him and see that he only took one bite out of them. My mom would say, "He only took one bite because he had to make room for all the other cookies he would have to eat that night." I thing I didn't like growing up was hearing my mom and dad say, "Santa is watching you." I am a people pleaser so the thought of Santa putting me on the naughty list was horrible.
7. What is your favorite Christmas cookie?
My MIL (mother-in-law) and SIL makes about 6 different kinds of cookies for Christmas. They are all amazing, and I would have to say that their sugar cookies and snowballs are my faves.
8. How do you take your egg nog?
I like it poured in a glass Christmas cup. And all you Egg Nog haters...don't hate...appreciate the beverage of calories and holiday joy! :)
9. What is your favorite Christmas carol and why?
Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful
I love the repetition of, "Oh Come let us adore him."
10. When was the last time you had a white Christmas?
I have never had a white Christmas.
On Sunday we did get some snow here in IL. It wasn't a whole lot but I enjoyed seeing the yard covered in a blanket of white.

1 comment: